Poha, a Maharashtrian dish made with flattened rice is a quick and easy breakfast option. The original recipe is made with potato and onion but you can add other vegetables including carrots and peas. If you don’t want to spend too much time making breakfast then definite try this recipe and you won’t be disappointed.
Poha (flattened rice) – 2 cups
Onion – 1/2 cup
Green chilli (finely chopped) – 1
Potato (boiled, peeled and diced) – 1 (large potato)
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
For garnish: cilantro and curry leaves
1. Heat oil in a pan and let mustard seeds splatter.Add onion, green chilli, curry leaves and saute till onion turns golden. Add turmeric and salt to taste.Adding salt releases moisture from onion and helps cook faster. I have seen recipes with peanuts. So if you like peanuts add them prior to adding onion.
2. Now add boiled, peeled and diced potato and green peas cook for another 3-4 minutes.
3. While your veggies are getting cooked wash 2 cups of poha and let it drain. Don’t let poha sit for too long because it gets mushy (soak it for 5 minutes).
4. Add in your poha and cook on low heat for additional 2-3 minutes.
5. Garnish with chopped cilantro and add a dash of lime juice more more flavor