As soon as I hear the word “Parupusili” I immediately think of weddings and festivals. It’s a south Indian Brahmin dish that is prepared on special occasions. Its made with lentils and vegetables including green beans, carrots or cabbage. Very easy to make and a healthy wholesome dish.
It involves 3 steps: 1. Boil vegetables; 2. Grind soaked lentils; 3. Cook lentils with vegetables. Its that simple!
Portion size – 3-4
Channa dhal – ¾ cup
Toor dhal – ¼ cup
Green beans – 1½ cup
Green chili – 6
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Curry leaves – 10-15
asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Soak channa and toor dhal in warm water for about an hour.
2. Drain all the water and grind it into a coarse mixture along with green chilli and salt.
3. Boil finely chopped beans in water with a pinch of turmeric and salt for about 7-10 minutes. (beans should not get mushy.It should still retain its crunchiness)
4. In a saute pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil and throw in mustard seeds, urad dhal and asafoetida. Once mustard seeds begin to splatter add curry leaves and the dhal mixture from step 2.
5. Close the lid and cook the dhal mixture (medium-low flame) for about 5-7 minutes.
6. Once dhal gets cooked add green beans and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot!