Tomato – 4-5 medium
(when diced it should give you 4 cups of tomato)
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 and a 1/2 tbsp
Tamarind paste – 1 and a 1/2 tbsp
Asafoetida – couple of pinches
Salt to taste
Curry leaves – 7-8
Jaggery – ½ tsp
Sesame oil (Nallennai) – 4 tbsp
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan. To the heated oil add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
2. When mustard seeds crackle add diced tomatoes, turmeric, tamarind paste and salt. Cover it with a lid and cook it.
(Now comes the tricky part. Tomato releases a lot of water so don’t panic! Turn the flame to medium low and cook it for about half hour to 40 minutes stirring every 5-6 minutes. The idea is to remove all the excess water)
3. When the contents in the pot has reduced to half its time to add chilli powder.
4. Heat a small pan. Add 2 tbsp of oil and to the hot oil add chilli powder and curry leaves and sauté it for about 15 seconds and add it to the tomato mixture.
5. Now switch the heat to medium high and keep stirring it till all the water evaporates.
6. Towards the end add jaggery and mix well.
7. You know its done when the oil appears on the surface of the dish.
Turn off the stove and once cooled store it in a glass container.
Thokku goes well with everything..Rice..chapathi…dosa..but my favortie combination is curd rice and tomato thokku