Mor (buttermilk) kuzhambu (curry) is an authentic south Indian dish made with buttermilk, coconut and seasoned with mild spices. Every family has a different take on this dish and in a lot of Tamil families its prepared on festival days. Even within my family, my grand mom, my mom and my aunt add their own spin to this dish. One day I happened to have an interesting conversation with all 3 of them about this dish and I ended up with 3 different versions of mor kuzhambu. I tried my mom’s recipe today and I hope to try out the others at some point.
Okra – 250 grams (cut into 1 inch pieces)
(I used okra but you can also use pushanikai (pumpkin). Peel and chop pumpkin and boil it and add it to thegravy)
Buttermilk – 2 cups
(I used yogurt since I had a lot of it at home. I took 1 cup yogurt and mixed it with 1 cup of water to get the right consistency)
Channa dhal – 1tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Coriander seeds – 1tsp
Red chilli – 2
Coconut – 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin – 1tsp
Ginger- ½ inch square
Green chilli – 1 or 2
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
1. Soak 1tsp channa dhal for about half hour in warm water.
2. Dry fry urad dhal, coriander seeds and red chilli.
3. Add channa dhal, coconut, cumin seeds, ginger and green chilli to the dry fried ingredients and grind it into a smooth paste.
4. Cut the okra into 1 inch pieces and fry it with a little bit of oil and fry it well until it gets nicely cooked (the skin should become nice brown in color)
5. In a stainless steel or non stick pot add 2 cups of water and then add the paste along with turmeric and salt. Let it cook for 5 minutes to make sure all the fresh spices release their aroma. Now add the fried okra and cook it for another 2- 3 minutes in medium heat.
6.Once cooked lower the heat and add the yogurt. Once you add yogurt or buttermilk do not cook it for too long and make sure that the heat is really low.Stir it well and cook it for about 2 minutes.
6. Season it with mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves in coconut oil. For details about seasoning refer to my previous post (Beetroot coconut kootu)